Jerusha met Jared while attending Brigham Young University's film school. She co-wrote Napoleon Dynamite with Jared, and the film was produced and edited by classmate Jeremy Coon. In 2010 it was announced that Hess' hit movie "Napoleon Dynamite" would become an animated series on Fox featuring the further adventures of the iconic teen, and the voice talents of the original cast.
In January of 2012 one of Hess' films, Austenland, was premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. Austenland is an adaptation of Shannon Hale's book by the same title. Three years later, in 2015, another film writen with her husband, Don Verdean, was accepted into the Sundance Film Festival.
Hess gave a presentation at the 2015 LDS Film Festival, where her film Austenland was re-screened.
Jared and Jerusha Hess are both members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have one son, Elliot, and one daughter, Greta. They currently reside in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
- Nacho Libre (2006)
- Gentlemen Broncos (2009)
- Austenland (2012)
- The Salt Lake Tribune - The Road to Austenland (23 August 2013)
- The Daily Herald - Plain Jane: Austenland offers a feel-good rom-com (23 August 2013)
- The Deseret News - Romantic comedy 'Austenland' is light-hearted, funny (24 Jan 2013)
- The Daily Herald - Utah duo invites moviegoers to explore 'Austenland' at Sundance (20 Jan 2013)
- The Salt Lake Tribune - Sundance photos: Keri Russell at premiere of Utah director's 'Austenland' (18 Jan 2013)
- The Deseret News - 'Austenland,' a family-friendly romantic comedy at Sundance (17 Jan 2013)
- The Universe - BYU alumni in Sundance Film Festival (17 Jan 2013)
- The Daily Herald - The Sundance will come out on Thursday (13 Jan 2013)
- Deseret News - 'Napoleon Dynamite' animated series is funny, familiar, but not too family-friendly (12 January 2012)
- Daily Universe - Viewpoint: New ‘Napoleon Dynamite’ cartoon better than expected (18 January 2012)
- The Salt Lake Tribune - The cartoon side of ‘Napoleon Dynamite’ (13 Oct 2010)