Synthesis is a performing jazz group at Brigham Young University. The group combines swing, jazz, Latin, blues, and fusion styles to impress and entertain audiences around the world.
Synthesis was the sweepstakes champion of the Pacific Coast Collegiate Jazz Festival and has participated in many festivals and competitions throughout the world. The group has also performed in mainland China and at the Tokyo Disneyland. The founder and first director of Synthesis at BYU was K. Newell Dayley. Currently Ray Smith, saxophone professor and director of jazz studies, leads the band.
In 2012 the group released their album, Flying High, which features several arrangements and compositions by Kevin Jenson, the unique style of violinist Curtis Woodbury, and the vocal talents of Suzy Lind. That year the group was also featured at the Homecoming Spectacular in October. The following year the band was scheduled for a tour in Brazil. As part of the preparations they performed in an "Evening of Jazz" concert at the SCERA Center for the Arts.
Downbeat Magazine listed Synthesis as one of the best performing groups of 2013. The magazine named Synthesis as the undergraduate winner in their 36th Annual Student Music Awards.
In 2014, Synthesis toured Nauvoo with BYU's Contemporary Dance Theatre.
- Montreux International (Switzerland)
- North Sea (Holland)
- Pori International (Finland)
- Lionel Hampton (Idaho, USA)
- Antibes (French Riviera)
- Riga (Latvia)
- Kongsberg (Norway)
- Umbria (Perugia, Italy)
- Edinburgh (Scotland)
- Copenhagen (Denmark)
- Wigan (England)
- Birmingham (England)
- San Sebastian (Spain)
- Loule (Portugal)
- BYU CFAC - Collaboration at its finest: Synthesis and CDT tour Nauvoo together (17 Jun 2014)
- BYU CFAC - Downbeat Magazine Lists Synthesis Among the Best Student Musicians of 2013 (30 May 2013)
- the Daily Herald - Trio of local jazz bands swing into action at free SCERA concert (25 April 2013)
- The Universe - BYU Spectacular honors Maeser Building (9 Oct 2012)
- BYU Magazine - What's On (Summer 2012)
- The Deseret News - BYU Synthesis' 'Flying High' soars with jazz tunes (7 April 2012)
- The Daily Universe - BYU’s band, Synthesis, jazzing things up (5 March 2010)